Friday, January 21, 2011

Grail Gun: Achieved.

I hinted last week that I had a new acquisition to post. I picked the gun up on Saturday (and took it to the range literally on the way home from the purchase), so it didn't make the cut for last Friday; however I can now show off my latest acquisition in all its L-framed glory:

No Zit!

Yes, that is a Smith & Wesson 242ti, a Centennial frame (also called hammerless, which is a misnomer as there is a hammer, but it is internal), 7 shot, medium frame revolver with an aluminum frame and a titanium cylinder. Even though it is a mid-sized frame, it weighs less than the steel frame model 60 J-frame revolver, tipping the scales at 21 ounces loaded:

AirLITE

This is nearly a full pound lighter than the steel-framed Model 13, which has a 3" barrel compared to the 242's 2½" - but also one round fewer. The 242 is more than a pound lighter than my Colt 1991A1 compact - and has the same capacity. Going from 5 rounds + 6 backup in the 360PD (which is a hair more than 7 ounces lighter than the 242) to 7 rounds + 8 puts the revolver on even footing with the semi-auto (although, yes, it's a lot faster to load a fresh magazine than 7 rounds from a speed strip).

Grail gun: I have one more from the list...

That is all.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your "Grail List" Posted somewhere?

ZerCool said...

Now that is a beauty. Ahrends grips?

I almost occasionally regret moving my 242 for something as pedestrian (and available) as the PM9 - but money is money, and I don't have enough of it to be a collector yet.

Jay G said...

Anon:

Grail Gun list

Z,

Yep, those are Ahrends all right. Ordered 'em through Brownells and they were delivered the day I picked her up - pretty serendipitous, no?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

What tickled your 'want' fancy for this particular model? A hundred models to choose from, a dozen semi-similar, but THIS one was the bees knees for you. Can the explanation for the desire be put into words?

Jay G said...

Well, let's see. First off is the rare factor - not only is this only one of two hammerless L-frame models ever made (the other being the 296), it was only made for one year.

Second, I find it to be an excellent CCW piece - I find myself carrying my J-frame IWB, and for a few ounces more I can have two more rounds plus a larger, easier-to-handle frame.

21 ounces loaded vs. 14 for the 360PD. Those 7 ounces buy you two additional rounds and a full-sized grip - while I've only shot the 242 once, I found it easier to shoot than the 360 (with the same ammo).

Plus it just looks weird/neat...

Old NFO said...

Nice! Shoot it good Jay!

Evyl Robot Michael said...

Sweetness! Good choice on the grips. I've got Kim's stuff on a bunch of my wheelguns. Wear well! That sure would look good in a custom basketweave pancake... ;)

Jay G said...

Actually, I was thinking about an Exec II for it - you interested in bartering for ad space by any chance?

As long as you don't mind sharing space with Dragon, of course... ;)

Bubblehead Les. said...

Excellent choice for a Winter Carry piece! Should slide right into the outer pocket of a heavy parka. No more fumbling through three layers of clothing with gloved hands to access a IWB pistol if a Goblin tries to get you while you're shoveling snow. That's why I put the short barrel on my old Dan Wesson and keep it ready in my Winter Coat. Of course, if you use it in that manner, then when the coat comes off, you still have your IWB gun. And if there are small children present in the home, well, maybe not such a good idea. But for those of us who have to fight Old Man Winter, having a Parka Pocket Pistol is a good idea. Nice Job!

Tam said...

Now you need a .44...

SpeakerTweaker said...

Forgive my Teh Stoopidz, but is that a .357 or .38?

Either way, NICE GUN. Love the stainless against the wood grip.



tweaker

phlegmfatale said...

Very nice, and I love the grips, they look like they'd be a tactile pleasure. Congrats on one notch on yer grail list. :)

DJ said...

Suh-WEEEET acquisition!

One of the few handguns that I'd dump a couple of my Glocks to own.

Never knew that someone made speed strips for the 242. I learn something new every day, despite my best efforts...

Gunnutmegger said...

Jay,

You mentioned the SVT40 and PSL/Dragunov on your Grail List.

BMG in Newington, CT has had them both recently.

http://www.yankeegunnuts.com/2010/08/23/gun-store-bmg-guns-ammo/

(check the last picture)

They will be moving down the street soon.