Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Interesting Request...

Got an interesting e-mail last night that I thought could be elucidating (and provide good blogfodder):
Hi Jay,

Really enjoy the bleg, keep up the good work.

I was wondering if you could try to throw together a list of publicly traded firearms companies & provide their symbols? I've looked and the only two that I could track down with ease were sturm ruger & s&w.

Seemed like it could make a decent post & would be great info for all.

Thanks,
Joey in AZ

Let's see. Here's what I came up with for publicly traded companies in the guns and gun accessory biz:

Ticker: Company
SWHC: Smith & Wesson Holding Company
RGR: Sturm Ruger & Company
TASR: Taser
AAMUQ: American Ammunition
CAB: Cabelas
MFIA: Marlin Firearms

That was about it. Most firearms companies - like Colt, Beretta, Mossberg, etc. - are privately owned. As a general rule, firearms manufacturers tend to be smaller and therefore more likely to be privately-held; to say nothing of the unfortunate negative stigma attached to firearms in our anti-gun media. What would be really interesting, though, would be to plot the financial stability of these companies against "traditional" manufacturers - something tells me the gun manufacturers have been doing significantly better.

Any other public gun or gun accessory companies out there?

That is all.

6 comments:

libertyman said...

Jay -- Marlin is part of Cerberus now, I believe, and they are privately held. Ruger pays a dividend and is currently about 15 bucks a share. They have no debt, and were recently buying back a bunch of shares. (Full disclosure, I guess, I have a bunch of Ruger stock.) Smith doesn't pay a dividend, but their stock is fairly low as we speak. I like stocks that pay dividends.

libertyman said...

You may want to look at Olin (OLN)and Alliant Techsystems (ATK) as suppliers of what makes guns go. Olin pays 3.90% dividend, Alliant 1.10%.

However, my advice is to ignore my advice. Your results may vary, as they say.

gator said...

Remington Arms was acquired by Cerberus in 2007. I hope their 2007 model Remingtons work more reliably than their 2007 model Jeeps.

Winchester is still an Olin company (OLN)

danno said...

RCBS is now part of Alliant TechSystems (ATK). They also make the SRBs for the shuttle!

Take a read of their profile: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=ATK+Profile A couple words jump out "energetic products" and "medium-caliber chain guns"

libertyman said...

Gator, I believe the Winchester name is owned by Olin, but the Winchester firearms are made by FN. And Jay, when did you get your information on AAMUQ i.e. American Ammo ? They are trading on the pink slips on the OTC. Of course you can buy them at a penny a share.

Wally said...

I would avoid AAMUQ like hte plague. I've seen too many of their cases fail during firing. A-MERC headstamp. Wouldn't shoot the ammo, so I wouldn't touch the stock.