Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Irony, Thy Name Is Comcast...

Okay, y'all are gonna love this... Despite having issues with Comcast before, we decided to take advantage of their "Triple Advantage" deal for home phone, cable, and internet. We're already getting the cable and internet, and adding the phone line saves us $30 a month after the introductory period expires. We don't use the home phone all that much, and have cell phones as a back-up for times Comcast goes down, so we thought it was worth the savings to switch the home phone to Comcast.

When Mrs. G. called Comcast to start the process, the technician on the other end of the line asked if she could call back later - because the Comcast server was down...

We've had issues with Comcast as detailed before. Mrs. G.'s folks have had intermittent issues with Comcast phone service. My poor brother-in-law, the sports fanatic, had Comcast cable go out during the Superbowl. SCI-FI has battled with them off and on for a while now over cable and internet. This is just my close friends and family here, folks. This is not the way to instill confidence in one's product and/or capabilities here...

We're still going to go ahead with the switch - the introductory rate, good for the first year, saves us $70 a month right off the bat, and will continue to save us money even after the offer expires. The home phone is the only thing that will be different, and as I said before, we don't really use it all that much anyways, opting for the cell phone in most cases. I've noted a sea change in my phone habits in that I used to give my cell number when I thought it might result in unwanted calls (sales calls) so as to not clutter up the landline - that is completely reversed now.

Just thought the irony was too delicious not to share...

That is all.

7 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

See if there is any way you can contact Verizon and see if they can put you on a contact list for when FIOS is in your area.

We only have it for Phone and internet, but the 'net is screeching fast, and the long distance is free and clear.

Had their service for nearly 5 years now and have NEVER had an outage...EVER!

All that and last time we priced it, cheaper than Comcast ...at this point even if they saved me $100 a month and offered Blojob On Demand, free, I'd tell them to fuck off.

Robb Allen said...

Ever thought about cancelling the cable portion and just picking up a Roku box or something similar?

My wife and I are planning on that. $100 for the box, $8 a month Hulu subscription, and 95% of anything we ever want to watch can be streamed right then and there.

The 5% we are working out are sports. The Mrs. wants to watch FSU toss the pigskin around. Once we figure that one out, we'll be ditching cable altogether.

A la carte viewing is the future. Cable is dead, you're just watching the corpse twitch.

Argonel said...

For what it is worth I'm ugpgrading my DSL package with the local phone company. They were bought out recently and no longer offer "naked" DSL service so once again the house will have a phone number. Since my wife and I both have cell phones I have no intention of ever plugging a phone into the home line. It is never anyone I want to talk to anyways.

Spikessib said...

The only time in my life I have ever been considered a VIP Customer was with Comcast.
That was because they treated me so poorly that I finally wrote a letter to every member of the board of directors. A week later I got a call from the local area president who scheduled my installation at an exact time, gave me 3 months free cable and coupons for lots of free movies.
The installer showed up at 8:15pm exactly and during the installation I overheard him say to whoever he was talking with that my cable had to be up and running that night as I was a VIP of some sort.
Sadly, my assignment there was only for 3 months and I had to cancel service just when they could have started charging me.

Katia

Old NFO said...

LOL- Verizon is NO better...

Jim said...

I've got Con Cast for 'net modem and basic teevee. Not many reliable alternatives here on Gullibale's Island.

For a land line though, I'm quite pleased with the Magic Jack going out over the 'net.

M'lady uses it to call the UK a few times a week. Easy to set up the (nominal) extra charge for that, and the M.J. never fails.

I've dedicated a used, $60 computer to the 24/7/365 task of "pseudo server' for the M.J. and associated central point for the wireless router and point-of-printer function.

Any form of dish is bad juju here on the Island though. Satellite kind of sucks in tropical storms, or worse.


Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX

Weer'd Beard said...

NFO, I dunno about your experiences, but mine (at two separate addresses none-the-less) has been nothing short of "Brick Shithouse"

I can only speak for me.

And of course I can't really come to much help for Jay...I plugged in your address buddy, and they say they have no Fiber in your area...sorry!