Friday, September 2, 2011

I See Dumb People...

State Rep. Wants Utilities To Give Rebates To Customers Who Lose Power
BOSTON (CBS) – Thousands of homes and businesses in Massachusetts are still without power, four days after Tropical Storm Irene. Now one state legislator wants the utilities to give customers rebates.

Representative Dan Winslow of Norfolk says power companies should be forced to give customers two days worth of rebates for every day they go without electricity.
Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ, you cannot be serious. Look, we had a bit of weather. Power lines get knocked down. It happens. We had no outages in our area and trees are still down and littering the street all over this corner of the state. It's unfortunate that some folks are still without power, yes. However, forcing the power companies to hand out free coupons is only going to result in raised rates, you dolt.

But wait, it gets better (and by better, I mean even more stupid)!
"If you lose power you certainly shouldn’t pay for it that day and then, I think, having an additional day of rebate for the inconvenience of having lost power is something that seems fair.”
1. Of course you're not going to pay for power if it's out, you moron. There's this little thing on the outside of your house. It's called a meter. It measures how much electricity you use. When the power is out, YOU DON'T USE ANY POWER, dumbass.

2. Fair? FAIR? You want to know what fair is? Fair is being able to run a business without some dipshit career politician trying desperately to make a name for himself sticking his stupid nose in somewhere it has no business being. How much you wanna bet Representative Dingleberry complains when the trucks roll down his street too early?

Gah. It's too early in the day for bourbon, isn't it?

That is all.

14 comments:

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,
It may be too early for bourbon, but it is NEVER TOO EARLY for scotch.
- Brad

LC Scotty said...

"Gah. It's too early in the day for bourbon, isn't it?"

Is this a trick question?

Bubblehead Les. said...

This time of day, I'd go with Irish Coffee.

Ruth said...

Is MA one of the states that allows the power companies to charge an extra fee "for repair work" or something similer when the power goes out? A couple of hte more southerly states (Maryland I think was one) that there was a big hoopla a year or so ago, cause they legally charged all customers an extra fee that was rated based on the number of days they'd been out. The excuse was repairs or something similer, I can't find the article now to check the reasoning.

Eck! said...

Half the problem is people that do not maintain THEIR trees that due to overgrowth took down lines.

I've been in the dark twice due to a tree hugger down the block with Hemlock and White Pines that over hand the mains!

Flip side if electricity is so important get a damn generator and transfer switch. do the right thing and be prepared! I was, I had lights and even minimal air conditioning along with keeping the refrigeration going. Its called being responsible and prepared. After all we get weather here!

When the SHTF most of the moaners will be the stuff the blades splatter.

Eck!

ASM826 said...

I dunno, what time is it in Moscow? Let's drink.

Who elected this faboon? That's where the real problem is.

agg79 said...

If you have to ask if it's too early for bourbon, you're not trying hard enough. A good single malt scotch goes well with the morning coffee.

After Ike, we were without power 14 days. Lived off of MREs and a portable generator. Will admit my electric bill was lower. Although Comcast did try to charge me for the the downtime that the cable was out - said it wasn't their fault (uh, I don't think so).

Tass (I survived Ike without the Gubmint's help) said...

My brain hurts after reading this...where's the bottle?

Phil L. said...

I'm in suburban MD - and now on day 5+ without power.

I don't expect a rebate from BG&E - but it might be nice to see evidence of a line crew in my neighborhood, particularly since all neighboring communities have had for the last couple of days.

Actually, I can't complain much: Between gas appliances and a generator, it's only been annoyance. I feel for my all-electric neighbors - and the guy down the street that had roof and water damage after a tree landed on his house.

libertyman said...

The two bit politician figures no one will have to pay for this. Except that is, the utility company's customers.
Good grief.

Anonymous said...

I worked for a power company in the West. People could get compensation for spoiled food and medicine if they had a long outage. Other than that - tough sh*t.

DaddyBear said...

Buffalo Trace - It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Jay, that's a pretty special grade of stupid y'all grow up there.

chris said...

Either you people in Mass. get your politicians form Oregon or we get ours (that I don't vote for)from you!! Or is there a school for IDIOT politicians!

Adam said...

Thanks Jay! I work for National Grid. I just finished a 96 hour work week. We worked our asses off to get power back on. We restored 1.2 million outages in 6 days, which I think is pretty damn good.

The public screams when we hire arborists to trim trees. The public screams when they lose power because we didn't hire arborists to trim trees. I had customers ask me why we let trees get so tall anyway, as if National Grid should be driving 30 feet into people's lawns to prune their 60 foot pine.

The best is when the customer is outraged that we just cut the power lines free and made it safe. Lots of folks think the power utility should drop the tree, limb it, buck it, chip it, grind the stump down, and why don't you just stack that for me on the side of the yard there...