Friday, September 2, 2011

Like Blogfather Like Blogson...

Borepatch has some Friday Gun Pr0n for your viewing pleasure.

He picked up a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I in the potent .303 Brit chambering (natch) as an addition to the Borepatch armory. It does my wizened heart good to see someone thriving outside of Massachusetts (although, as I pointed out in comments, that rifle is 100% MA-legal...), especially since the Commonwealth is getting exactly nothing from Borepatch on that rifle. And it will make Mrs. Borepatch happy - nothing like keeping mama happy...

A Lee-Enfield of some variety is on the longer list of "Guns Jay will get someday". I've got a Mosin-Nagant 91/30, a Mannlicher-Carcano carbine, and a Turkish Mauser; someday I'd like to add a 1903 Springfield, a K-98 Mauser, a Lee-Enfield, and an Ariska bolt-action rifle to the list to have a complete set of WWII bolties. There both is and isn't some urgency to this list; while these guns are old and getting older (and in some cases rarer) every day, there were literally millions of each of them made in the run-up to WWII. And they're all C&R eligible and 100% AWB compliant, so I can buy them from anywhere and have them shipped to the door.

Now, Borepatch, there is one thing left to do - get the big blade bayonet for that bad boy...

That is all.

10 comments:

Freiheit said...

I have a Lee Enfield No 1. Mk V. (yes you're reading that right) thats missing a handguard. It could be for sale for the right price if you want a bit of an uncommon Enfield.

Borepatch said...

I have the pig sticker bayonet, just didn't post a pic.

And no Garand????

Jay G said...

Garand != bolt-action...

Karl said...

Yeah, the problem is you also need to expand your milsurp want list to include a few pieces from the Great War.... You haven't lived until you've had something quality from pre-1920.

Rabbit said...

You really need a Swiss K31. Accurate rifle plus the bayonet is righteous.

Anonymous said...

In honor of BP I think I'll take my No.4 mk1 to the range this weekend.

Roger said...

Dear Jay;
You are a great gunny and have a wonderful blog.
BUT until you have an M1 Garand in your gunsafe, you have not experienced one of the best feelings a shooter can have.
Naught but the "Pling" when the clip (yes its a clip) exits YOUR Garand.
I have many very nice firearms in my safe and on my walls, but my Garand is probably the last that would leave should adversity ever arrive at my door.
Go thee to the CMP and partake of their goodness.

:->

lee n. field said...

Get it while you can.

I picked up my No 4. Mk II 12-ish years ago, for the princely sum of $75, and my Ishapore 2A for not a whole lot more. Now?

KBCraig said...

I'd have to stop and take count to list my Lee-Enfields, but I also don't have nearly enough of them. I don't even have a No.5 ("Jungle Carbine"), but I do have a No.I Mk.V like Freiheit (mine is complete and original, dated 1923).

They are absolutely the finest bolt-action battle rifle ever produced. For sustained aimed fired, they will keep pace with a Garand in the hands of a reasonably-trained rifleman. Cock-on-close is naturally superior on the battlefield, and the ergonomics are perfect.

Hans said...

75? Gah, I just paid four times that for a 2A.