Monday, September 12, 2011

Making The Best Of It...

So, yesterday I mentioned going to the range for some recoil therapy on the tenth anniversary of 9/11. I wasn't the only one with that idea, because commenter, friend, and new gun owner Brad_in_MA accompanied me to the rifle range. He's been bit by Baby Vulcan something fierce, and is already planning his next purchased which I blogged about a while back - he's looking for a shotgun. I offered up my 590 to test, given that it's practically identical in function to the 500 he's interested in shooting.

We spent a fine time at the rifle range - I brought my VEPR and a Sears .22LR along with the Mossberg - and determined several things:

1. When you walk into the rifle range house, and there are two guys shooting Romak AKs and one guy with a Romanian underfolder, you're going to get questions about the VEPR. Good questions, that is; not the "doesn't look like you can hunt with THAT" type...

2. The Sears .22LR has about the slowest rate of fire we've witnessed. I had to shoot a quick video for y'all:



See what I mean? (sorry about the end; it stovepiped and I forgot to stop the video before helping clear the jam).

3. Since the rifle range only allows slugs, and the skeet/trap range wasn't open, we could only shoot the single box of slugs I brought with me. It only took three to convince Brad that he was not a fan of slug shooting...


After the rifle range, we retired to the pistol range for some rimfire goodness. We were joined by commenter, friend, and also new gun owner SCI-FI and his lovely wife B. B got her permit the same time SCI-FI did and is still researching what she'd like for her first firearm. She was interested in the SIG SAUER Mosquito, so I brought it along and we put a few rounds through it. I think she liked it:

ZOMG! A woman with a gun!

A couple more range trips and I'll have enough rounds through the Skeeter for a preliminary review. So far it appears to be breaking in well, some teething issues as it goes but overall it's been pretty good. B seemed to like it... Brad brought his Ruger 22/45 and we shot that as well - it's more accurate than the Skeeter, but the Ruger has an unfair advantage on that end. The Sears .22LR proved beyond all doubt that - even in the same caliber - rifles are rifles and pistols are pistols. Even though the Ruger is a nice target pistol, it couldn't touch the dime-sized groups of the rifle.

Good friends and recoil therapy turned 9-11-11 into a pretty darn good day...

That is all.

8 comments:

Carteach said...

There is a rifle that has your sears .22 beat for looooong action cycle time.

The Remington Mdl 8 self loading rifle.

I once had one, in .30 Remington. When I uncased it at the range, an ancient man there immediately identified it as a 'Prison Rifle'. He didn't say how he knew it so well.

On firing, the shooter soon discovers he has set off a series of mechanical motions akin to the launching of a space shuttle.

Kind of.... Click/BANG..CLunk..Sproooooooing.... sping...WHOooosh thunk crink.. POP click.....
And we are ready to shoot again.

One wonders if there isn't time to set the rifle down and have a sip of coffee while it does it's internal kerklankage parade.

Julie said...

women with gun = good :)

Glad you guys had fun ... I SO need to get back to the range ...

Stithjim said...

I've got a Savage 87A that I like to call the "methodical autoloader" It does the same as your Sears. It is especially pronounced when it has a couple hundred rounds through it without a full tear down and cleaning.

Anonymous said...

I don't know that .22 counts as "recoil therapy", but that's all I shot yesterday. Shot my club's .22 silhouette match. Totally embarressed by my pistol score (think I tied for last place or close to it) when I usually place 3rd-4th. Almost didn't shoot the rifle match, but I did and did much better. Didn't hang around to the bitter end and I know I didn't win, but at the very least I was in the upper middle of the pack. I've been slacking off on my .22 range time lately and boy did it show!

Bubblehead Les. said...

Well, in Honor of 9-11, I went to a Gun Show, did some wheeling and dealing, and came home with a Mossie 20 gauge. After NorthEast BlogShoot and NorthCoast Blogshoot, I realize that Clint Eastwood was right: "A Man's gotta know his Limitations." So the Smith + Wesson 12 Gauge has moved on to a better, younger home, and now the Wife might be able to get into Shotgun Goodness. Plus, I'm lucky that my Indoor Gun Range allows Shotgun.

But I still wouldn't use one for Zombies. Goblins, yes, Zombies no.

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

Twas a good outing. And yes, 12ga slugs hurt like a sum-bumb.

@Julie, Jay forgot to mention one thing ... Ms. B has three ladies lined up who have never been shooting and want to try it.

- Brad

Anonymous said...

it was fun....

and I like that Skeeter

even better Brad is one of the wanna-be shooters in my UBER-liberal sister....

Anonymous said...

oops that was me ^

B-