Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Gun Pr0n #240

Since today is Veteran's Day, I figured I'd reach into the G. armory and pull out one of my firearms that's an actual veteran. A US veteran, mind you; while I'm certain the Mosin Nagants, Mannlicher Carcano, and Turkish Mauser most likely saw service in combat, I know that this one fought on our side for certain:

JMB's Greatest Invention

For today we have a gen-yoo-wine Colt 1911 in G-d's Own Pistol Caliber .45 ACP. Invented by John Moses Browning (Peace Be Upon Him) himself, served the US Armed Forces from the Great War to present day combat. While General Patton called the M1 Garand the greatest battle implement ever devised, the M1911 is undeniably more iconic.

This particular 1911 was produced in 1917 and may very well have seen service against the Kaiser. It's a low six-digit serial number (200XXX), complete with lanyard loop on the pistol as well as on the matching magazine. I don't think the holster is original; I know the gun isn't 100% (Dad G. cracked the barrel bushing a few years back, and my grandfather replaced the barrel long before I was born), but that means I can still take it out and shoot it once in a while without feeling too guilty...

Thank you, veterans - may you all have as long a tenure as the 1911!

That is all.

5 comments:

wolfwalker said...

"Thank you, veterans - may you all have as long a tenure as the 1911!"

Seconded.

Bubblehead Les. said...

As a Vet, thanks for the kind words. But look on the back side of the Holster where the belt loops are. You should be able to see where the Manufacturers Mark and Date is between the loops. But from the Picture, it looks like it my be Period to the Gun.

Bubblehead Les. said...

That's "Might" be period.

Guffaw in AZ said...

Fine looking machine!

Anonymous said...

I understand the reverence. I inherited a Colt 1911 in .38 Super Auto with a serial number of 11XX. The town Sheriff where I grew up in West Texas used to open the window of his office in the Courthouse and take target practice on the tree trunks out on the town square lawn. It made it's way to my Dad for a trade of goods. It is my only Safe Queen.