Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Okay, NOW I Feel Old...

Guns N' Roses, Beastie Boys to Rock Hall of Fame
NEW YORK — Welcome to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Guns N' Roses.

The seminal rock band of the late 1980s and early '90s leads the class of 2012. Also making the cut are the Beastie Boys; the Red Hot Chili Peppers; the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro; Donovan; and The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.
Wow. Just wow. When I think of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I think of the Rolling Stones, the Who, The Beatles, Elvis, etc. I don't think of the guys that penned "Welcome to the Jungle", the anthem to my high school and college years. I don't think the three Jewish rappers messing around and coming up with "Fight for Your Right (To Party)" would garner a slot in the HoF, either... They passed on Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, which saddens me - IMHO, Joan Jett deserves a slot just as much as Donovan (???) if not even more so.

Nothing makes you feel quite as old as hearing the music you rocked out to in high school playing over the supermarket intercom...

That is all.

12 comments:

bluesun said...

Still no Yes? Sigh...

Bubblehead Les. said...

The Rock Hall is 20 miles as the Crow Flies from my House. If you go there, you would be shocked to see who's NOT there. No Rush, No KISS, No Yes, but L.L. Cool J. is in?

Irish said...

NO RUSH!!!

Dave H said...

"No Rush, No KISS, No Yes, but L.L. Cool J. is in?"

I hear the Nobel Foundation is lobbying them to induct Obama.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Does anyone still make Rock and Roll music these days? The genre sorta died out and no one seemed to notice.

25 years from now they will be inducting Kei$ha and you'll know I spoke the truth this day.

Dave H said...

Except after years of inflation she'll be called Kei¢ha.

Rev. Paul said...

I'm still picturing a scene from, say, 10 years in the future, when Baby Boomers in spandex are pushing walkers around the old folks' home to the tune of Stairway to Heaven.

p.s. I'm a Boomer, and so entitled to speculate. Heh.

Steve said...

NJT:
Rock is dead and has been dead for almost a generation now.
Think about the creativity of the first 20 years of rock vs. the last 20 years. It's been all over since about the time of Kurt Cobain's death.
Rock is dead as a doornail and the Hall of fame is the museum where they display the relics.

Jester said...

Hell, Its making me feel old too.

Paul, Dammit! said...

Dammit, PISSED beat me to it!

Ross said...

Heh. Jay, last year I called the company I was contracting for and when I got put on hold (this is for a high tech contracting firm, mind you!), they were playing "Smoke On The Water" as hold music. The original version.

When did that go from "Will you kids turn that noise down!" to "Please hold, sir"???

Wraith said...

Oh, HELL no...they did NOT dis' my girl Joan!! >:(

Folks, it's the ROCK 'N' ROLL Hall of Fame. And you have to admit, Joan Jett rocks. Not 'rocks for a girl,' but ROCKS.

Who makes these decisions, a bunch of damn girly-men?