Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Second Annual Northeast Blogger Dinner Update #2

2010 is only 17 days away, which means that our proposed blogger get-together is 18 days away. Previous update here, and original post here. We've got one more thing to nail down and we're all set. Here's what we have so far:

What? Northeast Blogger Winter Gathering.

Who? Any and all bloggers, commenters, readers, lurkers, etc. in the Northeast area, or those passing through, or anyone crazy enough to show up.

When? January 2nd, 2010

Where? Manchester, NH - venue TBD, with Murphy's Taproom, KC's Rib Shack and Jillian's as suggested meeting places.

Why? Folks getting together to enjoy good food, great beer, and superlative company. Bring your appetite, a whistle for wetting, and your best stories to tell.

Attendees:

Borepatch
Mopar
JD
Scotaku
sci-fi
MedicMatthew
Wally
TOTWTYTR
libertyman
The Big Guy
Marko
Bruce

Possible Attendees:

Lissa
Andrew
zeeke42
weer'd beard
Ross
doubletrouble
dragon

12 definites and 7 maybes. Including your humble host, that's 20 people not counting significant others. That's doable for pretty much any venue and should require a minimum of prep ahead of time (I can call a day or two before to set things up with whatever restaurant we choose).


So all we need now is to finalize the restaurant. We've got folks coming from as far as Florida to attend this thing - let's show those Hoosier bloggers how we in the Northeast git-r-done! From what I can see from looking at the website, Jillian's certainly looks like a good possibility - there's pool, bowling, pizza and beer... Pretty much everything a good blogger meeting needs! If enough people find it interesting, I'll contact the events person and see what (if anything) we need to do to get our group set up.

And lastly, as mentioned, Manchester Firing Line is available nearby if folks would like to meet at a range for some shootie goodness before the event. For those who are interesting, they do rent full-auto weaponry. If anyone's interested, I'll appoint my blogson Borepatch as the honorary rep for MFL, seeing as he's pretty familiar with the location...

Let's decide on a restaurant ASAP so we can enjoy our holidays and look forward to the event!

That is all.

13 comments:

libertyman said...

My vote is for Jillian's, as there is a lot to do there and will likely tolerate our boisterous behavior. It is easy to find as well.

Weer'd Beard said...

Doesn't matter what joint we go to, I'll be there. So upgrade my name!

Wally said...

Assuming no deadly winter weather, Manchester works for me.

Anonymous said...

Just let me know where, i'll be there! Best nearby hotel would help too.

Borepatch said...

Amen to MFL. I can check into a group rate if you want.

Also, Mrs. Borepatch is in as well.

Anonymous said...

Ooooppps, sorry, I was the anon.... commenting from my phone when I was supposed to be paying attention to a 5hr class on the Hunter Industries ACC Decoder Controller. In all that excitement (HA!) I guess I forgot to log in.
And Mrs. Mopar will be coming too.

Anonymous said...

One last comment before I head out the door.... Despite Marko's horrible, horrible poll recently; beer *IS* an essential food group. Where ever y'all decide, the beer selection should be even better then the food selection. Good beer makes bad food tolerable; it dopn't work the other way around!

Ross said...

I'd have to vote for KC's - stopped there on the way home from the NES Assault on Mt. Washington and found the ribs to be pretty good. And trust me... from what I saw there, they're used to "boisterous".

As for the "food" at Jillians? Bleah. Not worth traveling 20 minutes for, much less an hour.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a few options on a hotel for those who want, depending on where the dinner is. For Murphy's of Jillian's I'm currently leading toward the Hilton Garden on Commercial St, with the Radisson on Elm as a second pick. For KC's I'm looking at the Comfort Inn over on Queen City Ave/Rt3, with the Econo Lodge (kinda crappy reviews) down the street as a backup. Holding off until Jay settles on a venue to make my reservations. Murphys looks great with the beer selection, but I don't know how noisy/crowded it is on a sat night with a band?

Jay G said...

Woo Hoo! Afterparty @ mopar's!

I'm torn, really. The rib place is only open until 10, which could be a real bummer if we get a good rockin' group together (which it looks like).

I like Jillians for the venue in that we could shoot some pool, bowl a few strings, etc. if we want. It also seems to be a little more set-up for a casual get-together.

Murphy's has great beer from what I'm told, but after 9 when the band starts playing it's pretty hard to hear a jackhammer, let alone a conversation...

Last year's meeting we were done by 9; however we also had a smaller group last year (I think a total of 14-15 showed up including a couple of spouses). We're already past that many definites including spouses and have more on the fence.

I suspect that if we meet @ 6 we'll still be jawing well past 9. It might behoove us to pick a venue where we can spread out and take over a private or semi-private area...

Anonymous said...

A friend in the area tells me The Red Arrow Diner is the place to go for breakfast in Manchester. I see it's also open 24hrs (like a proper diner should). Maybe an option to move the party there if it gets too loud or too late at the primary venue? It's less then a mile away from Jillian's or Murphy's.

JD said...

Don't know the area since I am south of Boston so will go whererever. Put me down for two since the wife will come too. . . .

Anonymous said...

Nice story as for me. I'd like to read more about that theme. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a few pictures of any gizmos.
Alex Trider
Block phone