Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Just Made It!

Verizon the latest carrier to tighten the data spigot

The days when cellphone users could get all the Internet, video, and downloads they want for a flat monthly fee are fading, as Verizon Wireless becomes the latest cellphone carrier to do away with unlimited data plans.

Beginning tomorrow, Verizon Wireless, the nation’s second-largest wireless carrier, will cap the amount of data downloads allowed under its $30-a-month wireless broadband plan; it will also unveil more costly options for users with big appetites for digital data.

I just picked up my shiny new iPhone last month. Looks like - for once - I timed it just right:

The changes will affect only new customers. Customers who now have unlimited data plans, or who sign with Verizon today, will be able to continue paying a flat fee for all the data they wish to download.

This is unusual for me - usually I tend to miss out on this things. It seems like all of the carriers are going to more limited plans - AT&T went to more limited data about a year back. It's interesting to see but certainly not unexpected - with more and more people getting smartphones the networks have been ever increasingly burdened.

According to Verizon, the new limit will allow a moderate amount of browsing and quite a bit of e-mail - the web limit, though, is troubling - 100 web pages a month? Hell, I refresh this blog that much in a couple days... I'm glad I got in when I did, and for anyone thinking about upgrading their Verizon service you might want to act today.

The days of "unlimited" seem to be drawing to a close...

That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just one more reason to avoid the whole "smartphone" thing.

They're cool, to be sure, but a luxury, not a necessity. I think I just keep using my telephone to talk to people and stick with the computer for computing.

zeeke42 said...

Smartphones are definitely a luxury, but a relatively inexpensive one relative to the value. If I were in a financial position where I had to choose, I'd keep my smartphone over internet access at home.

Chris said...

Yea! Go de-regulated free market capitalism! ;)

Wally said...

$6 unlimited from T-mobile, and I know that's going to come to a grinding halt someday.

wv : "wightFA" <- how I'd shoot an undead wight.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Yep, you just put out the bait, let the fish taste it, then when one bites you set the hook and reel them in....of course, I think the next Big Rip Off will be when the Federales get their Big Donations from the Smartphone People and make it Mandatory to have one, just like they did with having to buy a Convertor Box to watch TV. And to accelerate the process, all the old cell phones will be shut off from all the wireless carriers, because "it's too expensive to support Legacy Technology (and the Cheap Bastards aren't buying enough Smart Phones!)"

The Coffee Bastard said...

I just got my first smartphone with Virgin Mobile using the Sprint network. $25 per month for unlimited digital and 300 minutes a month. I was paying $49 for just voice with T Mobile. Pays to shop around.

Dave H said...

I've been expecting Verizon to go to a tiered plan for a while, but I was hoping the lowest tier woupld be cheaper than what I'm paying now. No such luck.

I'm about ready to ditch this worthless smartphone and go back to my old LG. Verizon can gve my 2GB a month to somebody else.

Ruth said...

Got my Droid 2 over the weekend, cut it close, but I made it!

bogie said...

We use US Cellular - basically because they are the only carrier that we can actually use when we are at home. I just got an Android phone 2 months ago and the 5GB data plan costs $30.

A luxury - yes, but since I almost never use my phone for talking (except those three 911 calls I've needed to make), the phone is much more useful to me now.